Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

“Princess Rose is the eldest of twelve sisters condemned to dance each night for the wicked King Under Stone in his palace deep within the earth. It is a curse that has haunted the girls since their birth—and only death will set them free. Then Rose meets Galen, a young soldier-turned-gardener with an eye for adventure and a resolve that matches her own, and freedom suddenly begins to seem a little less impossible. To defeat the king and his dark court, they will need one invisibility cloak, a black wool chain knit with enchanted silver needles, and the most critical ingredient of all—true love.”

This is my second Jessica Day George book, and I have to say I am definitely a fan. This is a retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses. It was full of mystery, magic, romance and intrigue. What first drew me to this book was the beautiful cover, and of course the fact that it was based on a fairy tale. I enjoyed that the story was told from a few different viewpoints, in that way we are really able to see and understand what is going on throughout the story. Galen is a great character, who is instantly likable and charming. I love a strong male hero who stays true to himself and is kind, has integrity and is brave. I equally liked Rose. She was smart and strong, yet not too strong to where she wasn’t believable. It was a very entertaining read, and I am looking forward to reading “Dragon Slippers”, which I think was George’s first book.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I love your blog!;) I just added you as a friend on goodreads, and it looks like we have had our book blogs for about the same amount of time!:) I looked at your adoption blog, and I hope you get a baby soon! We were married in the Salt Lake temple as well. I think it was the Salt Lake temple in your pictures..;) Your reviews are great! I'm excited to read more of them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!