Monday, June 29, 2009

A Crooked Kind of Perfect by Linda Urban

"Ten-year-old Zoe Elias dreams of playing a baby grand piano at Carnegie Hall. But when Dad ventures to the music store and ends up with a wheezy organ instead of a piano, Zoe's dreams hit a sour note. Learning the organ versions of old TV theme songs just isn't the same as mastering Beethoven on the piano. And the organ isn't the only part of Zoe's life that's off-kilter, what with Mom constantly at work, Dad afraid to leave the house, and that odd boy, Wheeler Diggs, following her home from school every day. Yet when Zoe enters the annual Perform-O-Rama organ competition, she finds that life is full of surprises--and that perfection may be even better when it's just a little off center." -GoodReads

I didn’t know what to expect when I picked this one up. I have heard rave reviews and was excited to see what all the fuss was about. I ended up loving the book just like everyone else. It’s completely original, cute, inspiring, tender, and just a very enjoyable read. Zoe is a cute 10 year-old little girl whose biggest desire is to play the piano. So, she’s a bit disappointed when her dad buys her an eletric organ instead. “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade,” is what kept coming to mind as I read this book. Zoe learns and has a talent for playing the organ and throughout the course of the book you fall in love with the organ as well. I loved Zoe’s parents, each is a bit neurotic, but they show their love for Zoe in their own unique way. And of course little Wheeler, what a doll! I kept thinking how fun it would be if the author wrote a sequel that takes place ten-years later and those two can fall in love and get married! I’m a hopefull romantic. A fantastic story that everyone should read!

Cover Comments: Okay, so when I was a little girl I remember the "cool girl" in school showed up wearing socks just like these! I always wanted a pair but never thought I was cool enough to pull them off, maybe I should track some down and give them a try! Anyway, just a random thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!