Monday, July 20, 2009

Grip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon Mull

Genre: YA-Fantasy

Author Site: www.brandonmull.com

First Line: “On a muggy August day, Seth hurried along a faint path, eyes scanning the lush foliage to his left.”

One Word Review: Magical

Book Synopsis: “Kendra and Seth along with Grandpa and Grandma Sorenson discover that someone or something has released a plague that is turning the light creatures of Fablehaven into creatures of darkness. And for the first time, Kendra and Warren must visit another magical preserve called Lost Mesa in Arizona and try to recovery another hidden artifact. Can the plague be stopped? Can the artifact be found? And most importantly, is the Sphinx a traitor?” -GoodReads

My Review:
This is the third book in the Fablehaven series and once again Mull has cast a magical spell over his readers. I’m always impressed how he is able to mix old mythical creatures with his own new creations. I don’t think I’ve ever read about Nipsies before, but I love them! He always comes up with new creatures that are very believable and I wonder where they have been hiding all this time.

This story takes place a couple months after the end of book two. Kendra is sent on a mission towards the beginning of the story but eventually is reunited with everyone at Fablehaven. Seth is once again pushing his boundaries and getting into mischief. Luckily, his mischief pays off this time and with his meddling they find that a dark plague has begun to seep into Fablehaven. I really enjoyed this book; it had a good mix of magic, heroes, trials, reunions, and all the characters we have come to love from the previous books. One thing I liked about this installment that was missing in the others is a touch of romance for Kendra. I’m curious to see where things go and hope to see much more of this fella in the future. The book is almost 500 pages long, and at times it did feel long. It’s not really a book I could sit and read from cover to cover, I had to take breaks and so it did take me a little longer than usual to finish. It’s a fun read though and I definitely look forward to picking up the next one.

Reading Order:
Book One: Fablehaven
Book Two: Rise of the Evening Star
Book Three: Grip of the Shadow Plague
Book Four: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary
Book Five: Keys to the Demon Prison

Other Reviews:
Becky’s Book Reviews
Cool Kids Read

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this series! I think Brandon Mull is real cute too. Hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!