Friday, July 10, 2009

Retro Friday Review: The Face on the Milk Carton

"No one ever really paid close attention to the faces of the missing children on the milk cartons. But as Janie Johnson glanced at the face of the ordinary little girl with her hair in tight pigtails, wearing a dress with a narrow white collar--a three-year-old who had been kidnapped twelve years before from a shopping mall in New Jersey--she felt overcome with shock. She recognized that little girl--it was she. How could it possibly be true? Janie can't believe that her loving parents kidnapped her, but as she begins to piece things together, nothing makes sense. Something is terribly wrong. Are Mr. and Mrs. Johnson really Janie's parents? And if not, who is Janie Johnson, and what really happened?"


For this edition of Retro Friday I decided to go with an old favorite, The Face on the Milk Carton. Like last week, this was one that I read in middle school and fell in love with and is one few books that I actually remember almost everything about it. It’s been years since I’ve read it but I can still picture Janie Johnson sitting in the lunchroom cafeteria as she recognizes her very own face on the back of a milk carton! What a shock that must have been. This was a great mystery novel, as Janie tries to uncover the truth of her identity and possible reconnect with her biological family. Of course there is a little romantic story going on with the very handsome boy-next-door, Reeve.


I don’t remember the other books in the series as well, but I found a nice surprise last night as I was preparing for this post I realized that there is actually a fourth book in this series, I always thought it was a trilogy. In part two, “Whatever Happened to Janie?” Janie is reunited with her biological family and is trying to come to terms with her past. Growing up as a only child with everything she needs and then being thrown into a small home with seven people is quite a shock on Janie.



In the third installment, “The Voice on the Radio,” Janie’s life is starting to settle down as she figures out who she is. Her boyfriend Reeve has gone away to college and she decides to go for a surprise visit. When she arrives she finds out he has been telling her personal story over at the local radio station. This brings some unwanted attention her way and the calm life she was wanting is once again shaken.



And lastly, “What Janie Found,” in this final book we finally come face to face with Janie’s kidnapper, Hannah. Hopefully, Janie will be able to finally get some closure on her past and look forward to a birght future with Reeve and two families that love her. I have requested a copy from my local library and am excited to get my hands on a copy. This is a fun series, very creative and I would recommend it to everyone.




Other Retro Friday Reviews

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never heard of these books but they really sound interesting :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember pulling that book randomly off the shelf at my middle school library and just loving it! I only ever read the Voice on the Radio afterwards, and I didn't like it as well. But, I will always like the first one. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Kath! I had no idea there were any sequels at all. You've made me want to go back and find them. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!