Thursday, August 27, 2009

Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston

Genre: YA Fiction

Author Site: www.lesleylivingston.com

First Line: “Puck’s tortured words rang in Kelley’s ears as she lifted her head, struggling against the darkness that threatened to descend upon her.”

One Word Review: Satisfying

Summary: “17 year-old Kelly Winslow doesn’t believe in Faeries. Not unless they’re the kind that you find in a theatre, spouting Shakespeare—the kind that Kelley so desperately wishes she could be: onstage, under lights, with a pair of sparkly wings strapped to her shoulders. But as the understudy in a two-bit, hopelessly off-off-Broadway production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, wishing is probably the closest she’s going to get to becoming a Faerie Queen. At least, that’s what she thinks... In this fun, urban fantasy, Kelly's off-stage life suddenly becomes as complicated as one of Shakespeare’s plot twists when a nighttime trip to Central Park holds more than meets the mortal eye.” -GoodReads

My Review: Hmm, so this kind of reminded me a little of Lament and Wicked Lovely. It is entirely its own story though and I did enjoy it quite a bit. I won’t say I was surprised by how everything played out. It was a little predictable, so that did lessen some of the enjoyment. I liked Sonny and Kelley but they were missing some friction that I enjoy so much. They are a good match though and I enjoyed reading the story from both their points of view. Livingston mixes in a lot of Shakespeare references, which if you like Shakespeare then you’ll enjoy that. I was satisfied with how everything ended up and yet still left me wanting more. I definitely plan on reading book two, Darklight, when it comes out.

Reading Order:
Book One: Wondrous Strange
Book Two: Darklight
Book Three:

1 comment:

  1. Has no one else read this book?!?! I loved it. It was an awesome take on a Midsummer Night's Dream. I hope she writes another. I enjoyed the Wicked Lovely series, but this was even better. Come on people, read this book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!