Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Importance of Almacks by Denise Patrick

Genre: Regency Romance

Publication Date: May 2008

One Word Review: Entertaining

Author Website: www.denisepatrickauthor.com

First Line: “The stranger lay completely still as Pamela approached the stream.”

GoodReads Synopsis: In Regency England, lineage and vouchers to Almack's are everything, but Pamela Clarkdale has neither. After her father casts her out, she considers herself fortunate to have obtained a position as a companion to an elderly widow. Kitt Covington has sworn off Almack's and marriage. Why attend one when he has no interest in the other? Guilt, however, is a powerful motivator. Knowing he caused Pamela to be thrown out of her home, he proposes a sham betrothal between them to ease his conscience. Kitt's offer is tempting and Pamela agrees, with the caveat that the betrothal will disappear at the end of the season. But not only is Pamela refused vouchers to Almack's, her family is scheming to destroy her to protect a secret she doesn't realize she knows. When the twenty-year-old web of lies and deceit begins to unravel, will Pamela and Kitt discover that Almack's isn't really that important after all?

Kathy’s Review: I wasn’t sure what to expect with this one, but I was pleasantly surprised. I obviously love the regency setting and it seemed this book went a little deeper into the culture, especially that of Almack’s (which is mentioned in so many regency novels). I really enjoyed that part of the story. I also loved our leading characters, Pamela and Kitt. I was a little wary of Kitt in the beginning, but he really ended up being a great leading man. I thought they had great chemistry and I loved the scenes when they were together. Pamela was a likable enough heroine, I sometimes wished she had a little more spunk, but even so she still managed to hold her own and at those times I was really proud of her. Oh, sometimes her reactions seemed a little…dull. Something startling would happen and instead of getting mad/hurt she would just think about it and then go about her way. There were a couple instances that I would have liked a little more action. Overall, it was a really fun read and one I would definitely read again.

Bookworm Rating: 4.5

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!