Tuesday, August 19, 2008

An Inconvenient Book by Glenn Beck

I very rarely read non-fiction books. I think of reading as an escape from everyday life and problems, but lately I have felt like I need a break from the predictable fiction books I've been reading so I branched out and decided to read, An Inconvenient Book by Glenn Beck. Beck has a TV show on CNN and an AM radio show and he is know for his conservatism and common sense approach to our country's problems. He flys in the face of political correctness and isn't afraid to call evil by the name. He is a hilarious writer and presents even the heaviest of topics in a readable and light way. There are lots of little nuggets of information in the margins, like ADD moments, Islamic Terrorist say the Darndest things, and Liberal Brain Teasers that make reading it fun and fast-paced. Just because he is a Conservative doesn't mean he is Republican and he believes, as do I, that we all should hold ALL politicians to a higher standard than they are held presently. He has some really heavy chapters that, thankfully, he has broken up with some really funny topics like whether or not a man should wear a toupee, to how tipping has gotten out of control, to how to remember names. The following chapters were my favorite and I recommend if nothing else reading them.


Global Warming, Storming, and Conforming


Radical Islam: Politically Incorrect


America's Oil Dependence: The Peak of Stupidity


Media Bias: An All-New Fairness Doctrine


You Can't Say That! The Politics of Correctness


Child Molesters: A Fiery Solution


The UN: Truth, Justice, and the Anti-American Way


Illegal Immigration: Behind the Lies

If you love America and sometimes wonder if you still live in America then I suggest reading this book. A word of caution. Being ignorant IS bliss and some things you learn in the book will stress you out if you share my DNA and worry a lot. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. If you like this book, or non-fiction in general, I also recommend Freakanomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side to Everything by Stephen D Levitt. I have a BS in Economics so maybe that's why I enjoyed this book so much but seriously you don't have to be a geek to enjoy it. No, I swear!
Reviewed by: Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!