Monday, September 15, 2008

Magyk by Angie Sage

*The seventh son of the seventh son, aptly named Septimus Heap, is stolen the night he is born by a midwife who pronounces him dead. That same night, the baby’s father, Silas Heap, comes across a bundle in the snow containing a newborn girl with violet eyes. The Heaps take this helpless newborn into their home, name her Jenna, and raise her as their own. But who is this mysterious baby girl, and what really happened to their beloved son Septimus?

Whenever I read fantasy books, especially ones about young wizards I really try not to compare them to Harry Potter. In this case I just couldn’t help myself, throughout the book I just kind of wished I was reading HP instead. I think this had a lot of good potential, it had a fun story idea, interesting characters and the writing was well done. The problem I had with it was that there were so many different narrators. It switched around from character to character which made it hard to keep track of who was talking and what was going on, and it also made it hard to really get attached to any of the characters. There was also a lot of different stories going on, and thought it could have been edited down a bit. Maybe that’s a personal taste and someone else might really enjoy the story, I however, became pretty bored with it and just wanted to hurry and finish it.
Reviewed by: Kathy
*Description from book cover

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!