Thursday, February 19, 2009

Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins

“When eleven-year-old Gregor follows his little sister through a grate in the laundry room of their New York apartment building, he hurtles into the dark Underland beneath the city. There, humans live uneasily beside giant spiders, bats, cockroaches, and rats -- but the fragile peace is about to fall apart. Gregor wants no part of a conflict between these creepy creatures. He just wants to find his way home.. But when he discovers that a strange prophecy foretells a role for him in the Underland’s uncertain future, he realizes it might be the only way to solve the biggest mystery of his life. Little does he know his quest will change him and the Underland forever.”

After reading and loving the Hunger Games I decided to see what other books Suzanne Collins had written, which is how I came to read Gregor the Overlander. I really enjoyed the story, even though I hate bugs, it was a great read. It reminded me of “The Hollow Kingdom” or “City of Ember” and probably a few others, where it consists of people who live underground. I can’t imagine what it would be like to not see the Sun or the Moon. Gregor is a great character, very believable and I loved his little sister “boots”. I wasn’t sure how a two-year-old would work in an adventure story, but she was very cute and lovable. I look forward to reading the rest of the books in the series.

Book One: Gregor the Overlander
Book Two: Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane
Book Three: Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods
Book Four: Gregor and the Marks of Secret
Book Five: Gregor and the Code of Claw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!