Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

“A magical retelling of the Grimm’s fairy tale of the princess who became a goose girl before she could become queen. Anidori-Kiladra Talianna Isilee, Crown Princess of Kildenree, is born with the ability to speak to animals, a gift that is nurtured by her aunt. When the king dies, the queen announces that Ani's younger brother, not the crown princess, will succeed her on the throne. Unbeknownst to anyone, the queen has promised Ani in marriage to the prince of neighboring Bayern. The devastated teen is sent with a retinue over the mountains to Bayem and is betrayed by Selia, her lady-in-waiting, and most of her guards during the journey. Ani escapes, takes the name "Isi," disguises her distinctive blonde hair, and becomes a tender of geese to survive until she can reveal her true identity and reclaim her crown from the imposter, Selia. She must convince the king of her identity and stop a war between the kingdoms.”

I have actually read this book a few times, but this was the first time I had listened to it on audio book. I am preparing for a race and a friend recommended listening to audio books, so I chose Goose Girl because it is one of my favorites. It was almost like listening to a play. I loved hearing all the different voices; they really brought the story to life. It has been awhile since I’ve read the book so listening to it really brought back all the things I loved about the story. It’s an amazing fairy tale filled with love, adventure, and self discovery. Ani starts out very unsure of herself, always living in the shadow of her mother. As the story progresses she finds inner-strength and confidence through her experiences and having to become more independent. I love this series and am so excited to find out that there will be a fourth book coming out later this year. Now, I’m off to listen to Enna Burning.

Book One: The Goose Girl
Book Two: Enna Burning
Book Three: River Secrets
Book Four: Forest Born

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!