Saturday, June 6, 2009

Jackaroo by Cynthia Voigt

“Gwyn is not easily led. When she hears talk of Jackaroo, the legendary masked outlaw who comes to the aid of those in need, she shrugs it off, she has no use for myths. But Gwyn makes a startling discover, and she begins to believe that there may be truth in those takes. And when Gwyn’s faith starts to fail, it is Jackaroo she calls to her side. And it is Jackaroo who brings her strength, in a most unusual way.”

As I started reading this I realized I had started it before and never finished. I suppose that is what kept me at it this time. My expectations were a bit too high, I had heard this compared to Robin Hood or even Scarlet Pimpernel, so as I read I was a little disappointed in the story. I think it had a lot of promise, but it was a little lacking for me. Gwyn was a pretty good heroin, and she grows a lot throughout the story. I think Burl (her good friend, and father’s servant) was under used and although it’s clear what his intentions are, Gwyn hardly notices him throughout the story. Maybe if there had been more interaction with them and the chemistry built up I would have enjoyed the story more. I was confused in some places, but that was probably because I tended to skim more than I should have. It was a little boring for me, but okay overall. I don't think I'll be reading the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!