Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Fortune's Folly by Deva Fagan

Genre: YA-Fairy Tale

Author Site: www.devfagan.com

First Line: “Life would have been much easier if I believed in fairy tales.”

One Word Review: Delightful

Book Synopsis: Ever since her mother died and her father lost his shoemaking skills, Fortunata has survived by telling fake fortunes. But when she’s tricked into telling a grand fortune for a prince, she is faced with the impossible task of fulfilling her wild prophecy—or her father will be put to death. Now Fortunata has to help Prince Leonato secure a magic sword, vanquish a wicked witch, discover a long-lost golden shoe, and rescue the princess who fits it. If only she hadn’t fallen in love with the prince herself!

My Review:
This was a very cute book. I liked the overall plot and how the author wove in different fairy tales throughout her story. Fortunata is a very clever girl and it was fun watching her learn the art of fortune-telling and eventually end up on a made-up quest. The story moved along nicely and was well written. I liked Prince Leonato, he was sweet and kind. He does come across a bit naïve though and I kind of felt he was missing something. The villians were entertaining, and of course the quest they go on was very entertaining. The relationship between Leonato & Fortunata was endearing. If you like fairy tales than you will probably enjoy this story.

I’m still deciding what I think of the cover. The story & cover are probably meant to appeal to a younger audience; I just don’t think it really does the story justice. Also, Fortunata is supposed to be around 18 and the girl on the cover looks much younger.


Other Reviews:
My Favorite Author
Book Aunt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!