Saturday, July 11, 2009

Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Genre: YA-Fantasy

Author's Site: www.aprilynnepike.com

First Line: Laurel’s shoes flipped a cheerful rhythm that defied her dark mood.

One Word Review: Enchanting

Book Synopsis: An ordinary girl named Laurel who discovers she is a faerie sent among humans to guard the gateway to Avalon. When Laurel is thrust into the midst of a centuries-old battle between faeries and trolls, she's torn between a human and a faerie love, as well as her loyalties to both worlds.

My Review:
I was both nervous and excited to start this one. I had read pretty good reviews but wasn’t sure if I was quite in the mood to read another faerie book. Luckily I did because it turned out to be a very entertaining read. Laurel wasn’t my favorite as the story began, she seemed a little too whiney. As the book progressed she grew on me and by the end I was a fan. I liked the faerie world that Pike has created, it is a very unique twist to what faeries are and I thought it was rather refreshing. The first part of the book deals with Laurel and her friend David trying to figure out who she is and where exactly she comes from. The rest of the book is a little more exciting as trolls are introduced and of course the very dashing Tamani, a faerie friend of Laurel's. Of course there is a love triangle...I hate those! I’m pretty sure I know who I want Laurel to end up with, but you can’t help but like both David and Tamani (okay, you can probably guess which one I like more). This is the first in a series of four books and I am already anxious to get my hands on the next one.

I'm a sucker for a good book cover. So, when I was surfing the net and found the above cover on amazon.uk I fell in love. It's just so pretty, I think I like it more than the U.S. edition below.

Reading Order:
Book One: Wings
Book Two: N/A
Book Three: N/A
Book Four: N/A

Other Reviews:
Always Something to Read
Melissa's Bookshelf
Life in the Thumb

My Favorite Author
Exclusively Books

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE Tamani!!! Such a good book huh?! I don't want to wait forever for the other ones though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been really reluctant to pick this one up. But yours and one other recent positive review have made me reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chantele- Isnt Tamani just dreamy! I really hope he wins!! I agree, I hate that the rest of the series is so long coming. I guess it gives me something to look forward to!

    Angie- You should give it a try. Its a cute take on faeries and a pretty entertaining read. Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!