Sunday, August 23, 2009

Evernight by Claudia Gray

Genre: YA-Fiction

Author Site: www.claudiagray.com

First Line: “The burning arrow thudded into the wall.”

One Word Review: Okay

Summary: “Bianca wants to escape. She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in. Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him. "I couldn't stand it if they took it out on you," he tells Bianca, "and eventually they would." But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.” -GoodReads

My Review: This was just okay for me. I wasn’t really sucked in and about halfway through I kind of gave up and just skimmed the rest. Towards the middle there was a twist in the story, it probably would have been a good twist but it kind of went against the image of Bianca that Gray had built. That of an outcast not like the other kids at school, etc. I thought the twist made Bianca more like her classmates than anything else and if this had been made clear from the beginning then I think I would have enjoyed the story more. I’m trying to be vague so I don’t give away spoilers and probably not making much sense in the process.

As for the romance in the story, I just wasn’t feeling anything between Lucas and Bianca. From the first chapter, if just felt off for some reason. Bianca’s feelings for Lucas came too quickly without a lot of substance. We were told how she felt about him but I just couldn’t feel anything. I thought there was more chemistry between Balthazar and Bianca. Anyway, having read Jessica’s Guide and being blown away, I was a little disappointed in this story. Maybe I shouldn’t read too many vampire stories in a row?

Reading Order:
Book One: Evernight
Book Two: Stargazer
Book Three: Hourglass
Book Four: Afterlife

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!