Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Amelia and the Outlaw by Lorraine Heath

Genre: Romance

Publication Date: December 2002

One Word Review: Light

Author Website: www.lorraineheath.com

First Line: “The first thing Jesse Lawton noticed when the train pulled into the station was the girl standing on the platform.”

GoodReads Synopsis: With a strict, eagle-eyed judge for a father and two older brothers to back him up, Amelia Harper is doted upon and protected within an inch of her life. She's not even allowed to have a sweetheart until she's seventeen, for example. Amelia longs for the day she can do as she pleases, but that day doesn't seem to be in any hurry to arrive. For a young fellow, Jesse Lawton has a surprisingly shady background. The only wonder is that it took him until the age of fourteen to end up in jail, so wild was the path he'd been on. But five years have passed, and his luck finally seems to have turned: he's been freed. If only he can stay on the straight and narrow... When Jesse arrives at the Harper ranch to work off the remainder of his sentence, it's no surprise that the judge's pretty daughter catches his eye. What he doesn't know is that this young lady is itching for excitement, and with one look into his haunted eyes, Amelia knows she's found it in Jesse. Without meaning to, Amelia forces the erstwhile outlaw into a choice between his freedom and his heart.

Kathy’s Review: This was a cute story, I don’t know if cute is the right word, but it’s the only thing coming to mind. Amelia actually kind of annoyed me at first, she was just a little too naïve and it rubbed me the wrong way that she continued to hang around Jesse when it would clearly get him into trouble. After awhile she kind of grew on me, or maybe she matured during the story, but by the end I liked her. I also liked Jesse, he clearly had a rough life and tried to get by the best he could. Although he didn’t always make the best decisions, he still tried to make good choices, but didn’t have a lot of opportunities to change his life around. The relationship between Amelia and Jesse was sweet, she saw the good in him and he finally had someone to believe in him. The story was light and entertaining, about what you’d expect.

Cover Comment: I don't care for the cover, I probably would've passed the book by just based on the cover. Since I've liked this authors other books (written under pen-names Jade Parker & Rachel Hawthorne) I decided to give this one a try.


Bookworm Rating: 3

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree about the cover. I seriously did not look at the cover because I thought it might ruin the book for me. The guy on it is like 12...what is up with that?? Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!