Saturday, June 12, 2010

Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria Holt

Genre: Mystery

Publication Date: 1960

One Word Review: Ok

GoodReads Synopsis: As Martha Leigh approached the sprawling mansion of her new employer, Connan TreMellyn, an odd chill of apprehension overcame her. Soon whispers of past tragedy and present danger began to insinuate themselves into Martha's life. Powerless against her growing desire for Connan, she is drawn deeper into family secrets. But though evil lurks in the shadows, so does love — and the freedom to find a golden promise of forever . . .

Kathy’s Review: When I read reviews comparing Mistress of Mellyn to Jane Eyre and Rebecca I knew I had to give it a try. It didn’t quite live up to those books, but was still entertaining and kept me reading to find out what would happen next. I liked Martha, she was a smart, kind heroine. She is a bit curious, but not as much as I would have liked. The love story was a little lacking; it had a slow build up and then all of the sudden they were in love and yadda, yadda, yadda. I think this is one of those novels that would have benefitted from two POVs, maybe then the actual “being in love” part wouldn’t have seemed so sudden. I also find it HARD to believe that Martha would forgive him his past so quickly, especially since some of his adventures seemed to be pretty current. I guess I just didn’t believe him, if he truly was in love with her he had an odd way of showing it. Anyway, the mystery aspect and the motivations seemed weak, but there was enough suspense to keep me curious.


Bookworm Rating: 2.5
Nine Coaches Waiting by Mary Stewart
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
Rebecca by Daphne De Maurier

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!