Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen

Genre: Historical/Regency

Publication Date: January 2010

One Word Review: Enjoyable

Author Website: www.julieklassen.com

First Line: “For years, I could not recall the day without a smoldering coal of remorse burning within me.”

GoodReads Synopsis: Believing herself guilty of a crime, Olivia Keene flees her home, eventually stumbling upon a grand estate where an elaborate celebration is in progress. But all is not as joyous as it seems…. Lord Bradley has just learned a terrible secret, which, if exposed, will change his life forever. When he glimpses a figure on the grounds, he fears a spy or thief has overheard his devastating news. He is stunned to discover the intruder is a scrap of a woman with her throat badly injured. Fearing she will spread his secret, he gives the girl a post and confines her to his estate. As Olivia and Lord Bradley's secrets catch up with them, will their hidden pasts ruin their hope of finding love?

Kathy’s Review: I was originally drawn to this because of the cover; I love all the covers of Klassen’s books. Anyway, the story started off interesting and there was somewhat of a mystery (actually a couple) throughout the story. I enjoyed that it was a different perspective of the regency setting than I am used to. In this story we follow Olivia as she becomes an under nurse and moves up as a governess. I rather enjoyed getting to know the “servants” and seeing things from their perspective. I also liked Edward, or Lord Bradley. He has a few secrets of his own, but mostly I liked his interactions with Olivia. They have a sweet romance and it was fun to watch it grow. I do wish there had been more, I don’t know, banter or something between them. They kind of lack some of the chemistry that I like, but they did have a very sweet relationship that grew over time. The story was enjoyable and I liked all the characters. Would recommend to any regency fans!

Bookworm Rating: 4

2 comments:

  1. I'm just curious- How was the perspective different to you from most regency settings, exactly? Was it because you get to know the servants better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzy-yeah, I think mostly it was just the perspective that was different. Although, a lot of the regency books I read are mostly about "courting" and there is a lot of banter and stuff between the main characters. This one seemed like more of a mystery, and focused more on Olivia and her situation. It was good though, I enjoyed the change of pace.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!