Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Loyalt's Web by Joyce DiPastena

Genre: Historical Fiction/Romance

Publication Date: November 2008

One Word Review: Good

Author Website: www.joyce-dipastena.com

GoodReads Synopsis: In twelfth-century France, King Henry II of England has just finished crushing a rebellion by his power-hungry sons and now seeks to tame the lawless barons who supported them in this corner of his “Angevin empire.” To this end, the king has sent the Earl of Gunthar as his royal representative to ensure that Prince Richard and his former cohorts faithfully adhere to the terms of the peace treaty. Far from being welcomed with open arms, Gunthar no sooner steps foot in the county of Poitou than he is greeted by a series of assassination attempts. All appear to be linked to the former rebellious prince through the agents of the family and friends of young Heléne de Laurant. A clever, intrepid young woman, she realizes that the only way to prove her loved ones’ innocence is by exposing the true assassin. Heléne races against time—and dark secrets of the past—to unmask the killer before the kingdom plunges back into war. Fierce determination gives way to mutual attraction as Heléne and Gunthar spar over the identity of the traitor. But their blinding magnetism almost causes them to overlook an even deadlier threat from an entirely unexpected direction.

Kathy’s Review: I just want to start with a little disclaimer. I had a major headache and a million other things on my mind while reading this book. I will have to give it another try when there isn’t so much going on.

I had read a ton of great reviews for this book and was really looking forward to reading it. I was a little disappointed, it moved along a little slow and I was bogged down with all the different characters and their very unique names. The story rotates points of view with Heléne and Gunthar. I actually really enjoyed the main characters and their story, I got a little bored when they weren’t together. Heléne is a good leading lady, although I did get a little tired hearing about how “plain” she was. I also really enjoyed Gunthar’s character and thought he had good chemistry with Heléne. Overall, I enjoyed the story and would give it another try down the road and would even read the companion book Illuminations of the Heart.


Bookworm Rating: 3.5

Reading Order:
Book One: Loyalty’s Web
Book Two: Illuminations of the Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!