Thursday, March 10, 2011

The False Princess by Eilis O'Neal

Genre: YA Historical Ficion
Publication Date: January 2011
One Word Review: Good
Author Website: www.eilisoneal.com

GoodReads Synopsis: Princess and heir to the throne of Thorvaldor, Nalia's led a privileged life at court. But everything changes when it's revealed, just after her sixteenth birthday, that she is a false princess, a stand-in for the real Nalia, who has been hidden away for her protection. Cast out with little more than the clothes on her back, the girl now called Sinda must leave behind the city of Vivaskari, her best friend, Keirnan, and the only life she's ever known. Sinda is sent to live with her only surviving relative, an aunt who is a dyer in a distant village. She is a cold, scornful woman with little patience for her newfound niece, and Sinda proves inept at even the simplest tasks. But when Sinda discovers that magic runs through her veins - long-suppressed, dangerous magic that she must learn to control - she realizes that she can never learn to be a simple village girl.

Kathy’s Review: I enjoyed this one, but admit I went into it thinking I would like it more than I did. The last book I read was pretty fast paced and kept me glued to the pages. This one was a little slower paced, but not boring. There was a lot of detail and world building with bits of action here and there. The story and writing reminded me a bit of Goose Girl by Shannon Hale, which is a favorite of mine. The False Princess was unique and had a few twists that I didn’t see coming. I actually really liked the idea of Sinda, being raised as a princess her whole life and then suddenly finding out that she was a stand-in. She was sent out into the world and had to rediscover who she really is. I liked the growth she went through and confidence she gained in herself and her abilities. Her best friend and potential love-interst Kiernan was an enjoyable character. He brought a little lightheartedness to the story, which was nice. He is loyal to Sinda and while I liked their friendship, it was a little hard for me to see a romantic relationship. On the otherhand, I love when characters are friends and really know each other before a romantic relationship begins. I think it’s a great foundation for true love. I enjoyed the story and will be on the lookout for more books by Ellis O’Neal!

Bookworm Rating: 4

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is harsh for the girl. But it sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!