Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Maid of Fairbourne Hall by Julie Klassen



GoodReads Synopsis: Fleeing a dishonorable man, Margaret abandons her pampered upper-class world for an anonymous life "below stairs." But will danger or love find her first

Kathy’s Review: This kind of reminded me of Jane Austen’s Persuasion, with a twist. There is a bit of a lost-love story going on, which I’m always a sucker for. Margaret flees her home one evening and finds employment in the home of a man who once proposed to her. She wears a disguise and becomes a housemaid. I liked the changes Margaret goes through during her story. She starts off a bit pampered and kind of self-centered, but as the story progresses and she starts to actual work her personality softens and she begins to see people for who they really are. I thought it was a fun twist to have her working at an old “boyfriends” house. I admit though, I was a little disappointed that there weren’t more interactions between the two. I think it was about halfway through the book before they finally crossed paths. I would have liked more interactions, but the ones we do get were great. Overall, I enjoyed the story. You get to see behind the scenes of what the servants lives were like back then.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Its wonderful book. Thanks for putting on your blog. i like Nora character. thanks once again....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!