Saturday, April 13, 2013

Kiss of Fire by Rebecca L Ethington


 Joclyn Despain has been marred by a brand on her skin. She doesn't know why the mark appeared on her neck, but she doesn't want anyone to see it, including her best friend Ryland, who knows everything else about her. The scar is the reason she hides herself behind baggy clothes, and won't let the idea of kissing Ryland enter her mind, no matter how much she wants to. The scar is the reason she is being hunted. If only she knew that she was. If only she had known that the cursed stone her estranged father sent for her 16th birthday would trigger a change in her. Now, she is being stalked by a tall blonde man, and is miraculously throwing her high school bully ten feet in the air. Joclyn attempts to find some answers and the courage to follow her heart. When Ryland finds her scar; only he knows what it means, and who will kill her because of it.


Kiss of Fire is the first in the Imalind triology. It has been awhile since I’ve read a YA fantasy book and I thought Kiss of Fire was a fun way to get back into the genre. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the book, since it was free and self published (I could be wrong on that) I didn’t have the highest expectations. I liked our main characters Jocelyn, Ryland, Ilyan and Wyn.

I thought the book was well written and flowed pretty well, for the most part. I liked the beginning and was excited when towards the middle things started to pick up. The last half went back and forth for me, at times I got a tad bored. The end was good though and left me wanting to read the next book. I think it will be a fun series. Oh, I also liked that it was clean!

I just have to say it. I am not a fan of love triangles. It’s not super present in this book, but I have a feeling it will be in the next one. I just think it is WAY over done. It seems like every YA series out there has a love triangle now, maybe that is why I have been avoiding the genre. Let’s be original and not use love triangles as plot devices anymore, okay?

Content: Clean!

Similar Reads:
The Emerald Talisman by Brenda Pandos
Reckless Magic by Rachel Higginson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!