Monday, March 23, 2015

Monday Munchies


Hi guys! KJ here from KJ's Book Nook! It's my last post for Monday Munchies for Shannon's Swoon Fest! *tear* I have been going back and forth trying to decide what in the world to post! Should I do Ava's Enchiladas from Taming the Wolf series?! Should I do something from Tai's Diner?! Or should I feature another Iron Skillet recipe?! I just couldn't decide!! And then something magical happened!! I was scrolling through my FB news feed and a recipe just jumped out at me! I just could NOT pass this up! It looked so amazing, and scrumptious and I just HAD to share it! So for the final Munchies post I will be featuring a recipe from Nikki over at Chef In Training. I have never met her nor have I ever talked to her but I do follow her on FB and oh my heck! The recipes she posts all sound SO amazing! Seriously... you should check her blog out! You can thank me later.. ;) Hehe.

So... without further adieu... I present to you...


Samoa Sheet Cake!!

Didn't I tell you that it looks and sounds amazing?! I seriously cannot WAIT to try this recipe out!! My mouth is watering just looking at the picture!! So are you wanting to know how to make this little slice of heaven?! Well then take a look below!! Sounds easy enough, don't ya think?! ;)

INGREDIENTS
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
½ cup butter
1 cup water
4 Tablespoons cocoa
½ cup shortening
½ cup buttermilk
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

FROSTING
½ cup butter
6 Tablespoons milk
2½ cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
⅛ cup caramel sauce, I used caramel ice cream topping in the jar

ADDITIONAL TOPPINGS
2½ cups toasted coconut, See instructions below for how to make it
7 to 8 ounces caramel, either Kraft Caramel Cubes or from a block of Caramel. I used a block of Peter's Caramel.
⅛ cup evaporated milk
¾ cup milk chocolate chips
1 teaspoon shortening or oil

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Before making the cake, line an 18x13x1 inch cookie sheet with foil and spread shredded sweetened coconut evenly over cookie sheet.
2. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes, checking and tossing coconut regularly, every 2-5 minutes, to make sure all the coconut gets toasted evenly and does not burn. Coconut is done when it is golden brown.
3. In a large mixing bowl, measure flour and sugar. Set aside.
4. In a medium sauce pan, combine butter, water, cocoa and shortening. Bring to a boil. After mixture reaches a boil, add it to the flour mixture and stir to combine.
5. Add buttermilk, then baking soda, then eggs, then vanilla in that order, mixing in-between each addition.
6. Pour into a greased 18x13x1 inch cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.

FROSTING

1. In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine butter and milk and bring to a boil. Stir caramel sauce and then add powdered sugar and vanilla and stir until smooth.
2. After cake has cooked, remove from oven and poke holes in hot cake with a fork. Pour frosting evenly over top. Immediately sprinkle with top of warm frosting with toasted coconut.
3. In microwavable bowl, add caramel and evaporated milk and cook on high in 30 second increments, string in between each increment. Continue to cook and stir until caramel is smooth. Drizzle over coconut.
4. In another microwavable bowl, add chocolate chips and shortening (or oil). Microwave on high in 30 second increments, stirring in between each increment until the chocolate in melted. Drizzle over caramel.
5. Let Caramel and Chocolate drizzle set before cutting into it.

WOWZERS!! Is your mouth watering as much as mine?! Yummy, right?! *dreamy sigh* If this is not a Swoon Worthy recipe I don't know what is!! Let us know if you give it a try!! I am DYING to hear what everyone thinks!! ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!