Sunday, April 5, 2009

Seer and the Sword by Victoria Hanley

“Legend tells of a mighty sword that makes its possessor invincible. But a curse falls on anyone who lifts the sword for conquest. Unafraid, King Kareed of Archeld pursues the sword and wins it from the King of Bellandra. When he returns home from battle, King Kareed carries two special gifts for his daughter, Princess Torina. One is a unique crystal in which she can view the future. The other is the defeated king’s son, Landen, who is to be her slave. Torina immediately releases Landen, who becomes a member of the king’s army and her close friend. But trouble lurks in the kingdom of Archeld, and people accuse Landen of plotting against the king. Torina refuses to believe that Landen would hurt her family. Then Torina begins seeing deadly visions in her crystal Can she save her father’s life and the future of her kingdom?”

I have read this book a few times, there is something fun about curling up and reading a book that you have read before. It’s fun to revisit favorite characters and reenter enchanting worlds. Victoria Hanley has come up with a great story with a marvelous plot, containing many twists and turns. Torina has a rare ability of a Seer, with the aid of her crystal she can see the future and past. When her evil fiancĂ© finds out of this gift he is set on making her his slave, and taking over the kingdom. With quick wit she is able to escape and goes into hiding. Meanwhile, her childhood friend Landen also goes on the run for being falsely accused of killing Torina’s father, King Kareed. The majority of the book they are separated during their journeys. Usually I hate this in books, but for some reason in this book it is done so well and each character undergoes so much that when they are finally reunited they are better people and it is a sweet reunion. I love this book, it is one of my favorites and I recommend that everyone read it. It contains everything you want in a great book. I only wish they would make it into a movie!

Cover Comments: Like I said, I love this book…I hate the cover. If I saw this on a shelf I would probably just pass by. The girl on the cover looks about 13, while Torina is actually around 19. I wish they would have put a little more thought into the book and done a better job marketing. It just goes to show you, don’t judge a book by its cover!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!