Thursday, February 24, 2011

Stork by Wendy Delsol

Genre: YA Fantasy (Retelling)
Publication Date: October 2010
One Word Review: Okay
Author Website: www.wendydelsol.com

GoodReads
Synopsis: Sixteen-year-old Katla LeBlanc has just moved from Los Angeles to Minnesota. As if it weren’t enough that her trendy fashion sense draws stares, Katla soon finds out that she’s a Stork, a member of a mysterious order of women tasked with a very unique duty. But Katla’s biggest challenge may be finding her flock at a new school. Between being ignored by Wade, the arrogant jock she stupidly fooled around with, and constantly arguing with gorgeous farm boy and editor-in-chief Jack, Katla is relieved when her assignment as the school paper’s fashion columnist brings with it some much-needed friendship. But as Homecoming approaches, Katla uncovers a shocking secret about her past — a secret that binds her fate to Jack’s in a way neither could have ever anticipated. With a nod to Hans Christian Andersen and inspired by Norse lore, Wendy Delsol’s debut novel introduces a hip and witty heroine who finds herself tail-feathers deep in small-town life.

Kathy’s
Review: I was looking forward to reading this because the plot sounded so original. You won’t find any vampires, werewolves, faeries, or angels in this story (at least not in this first installment). I don’t have anything against those mythical creatures, it just seems to be overdone in the YA genre right now. I won’t give too much away, but I will say that this story is unique and I'll probably read the next book.

I thought the book was well written, a few things were a little unclear (at least to me) and I would have liked a little more information about Katla’s ability and the history of her talents. I also thought Katla was kind of a fashion snob. I know she wanted to be a designer and was really into clothes, but she also was kind of judgmental about her new friends and only really started liking them after she gave them a makeover. I guess that kind of attitude just rubbed me the wrong way. Her relationship with Jack was also a little weird. One minute they can’t stand each other, the next they are totally committed to each other. I liked Jack and his character grew on me as the story went on. For me it took about 100 pages for me to get into the story. This would probably be rated PG-13 for mild language, underage drinking and other mature content. Overall, it's a pretty clean read and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good fantasy.


Bookworm Rating: 3.5

Reading Order:
Book One: Stork
Book Two: Frost
Book Three:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!