Sunday, October 5, 2014

Monday's with Marcia


We’ve had so many great questions submitted for Marcia to answer. I had originally thought to do one interview during Swoon Fest, but we’ve had such a good response that I decided to break up the interview into four segments. There have been a few questions that were similar in nature so I tried to combine those ones. Since it will be broken up into four segments don’t worry if your question isn’t shown today, it will be answered in a later post. Marcia has been great to work with and it’s been fun to learn more about her and her writing process.


What was your favorite book to write?
I loved writing The Time of Aspen Falls, A Crimson Frost and The Visions of Ransom Lake most I think...

What was your hardest book to write?
The Trove of the Passion Room...so much joy, stress, and tragedy during that time...

So when you kiss your husband what character's kiss does his resemble the most?
All of them! Ha ha! Kevin is the SUPREME kisser! Every hero I’ve ever written has aspects of Kevin...and that includes his kissing skills! 

How do your hunky, leading men learn to kiss? Are they naturally talented or did it take years of practice?
Oh, they are absolutely just naturally talented! Perfect kissing is something a man is born with, not something he learns!!!

Do you have any favorite onscreen/movie kisses?
Heck yeah! My all-time favorite movie kiss is between Richard Armitage (John Thornton) and Daniela Denby-Ashe (Margaret Hale) at the end of BBC’s miniseries, North and South! Hands down my favorite!!! My runner up would probably be Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock in Speed! But that North and South one is SUPREME! Ha ha!

 
Ransom is my favorite of your leading men! Which movie/TV star would you cast in the movie version?
That is sooooo hard for me! And it kind of changes as actors age and stuff. I mean, The Visions of Ransom Lake was first published in 2002...and actors I may have chosen then, aren’t the right fit now because of age. So, hmmm...let me think...perhaps Liam Hemsworth. I think he would look good in a cowboy hat and make a good brooding Ransom Lake. 

I love werewolf stories, ever consider writing a werewolf romance?
 Well, one book that’s due out by the end of the year has wolves IN it! Ha ha! It has the implication that something is mysteriously wolf-like about the hero...but that’s all I’m willing to reveal right now...okay?

How do you come up with these amazing names of your characters?
Hmmm...who knows! Ha ha! I used to rifle through Baby Names books and highlight names I liked. And then someone pointed out to me (years ago) that so many of my character names are “nature-ish,” you know, like Aspen, Cherry, Lark, Ember, Autumn, Rivers, Sage...even some heroes like Stoney, Lobo. To be honest, until my friend pointed that out to me, I had NEVER noticed before! So then I began to become aware that I DID tend toward nature-ish names at times, especially for heroines. Furthermore, I noticed that if it wasn’t a nature-ish name, it was something akin to a feeling, like Cozy Robbins—who I just now realized has feeling first name and a nature-ish last name! Ha ha! Who knew! I think my subconscious just works that way, because the names just pop into my head at about the same time the book idea does! I’m just weird, I guess. 

Do you have a favorite place to write? Favorite writing snack?
 My favorite place to write is my pumpkin-themed office, with my orange mini lights on (the ones wrapped about the post of my lamp in one corner) and my Pumpkin Butter WoodWick candle at my side!  As favorite my favorite writing snack—I have two...Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups (the individually wrapped mini ones), or Cheetos! Mmmm! Now I’m hungry! 

What is your favorite genre to write?
You mean other than just “Romance” itself, right? Ha ha! That’s hard, because it all depends on my mood...but I guess Western Romance would be my favorite...because I can incorporate more humor! Humor is soooo good for the heart and soul...and I just LOVE the old west...especially since I’m born from so many generations of farmers and ranchers! 

Do you ever get writers block and how do you overcome it?
I’ve heard it said, that there is no such thing as writer’s block...and I’m inclined to agree. I think it’s more aptly called, “Writer’s Funk,”...at least where I’m concerned. It can hit me pretty hard when there’s a lot of family drama going on, pressure to produce, worry about my family, and demands on my time. I think the best way to overcome it, is to just sit down and write something...anything! Even if it’s just some random thoughts of the day. It also helps me to go back and re-read the book I’m working on from the beginning. At least, that’s how I deal with it. 

Who are your favorite authors? Favorite books?
  When I think of my “favorite authors,” I still tend toward those I found in my teens and early twenties: Victoria Holt and Jill Tattersall would be my romance genre favorites. I also love Lucy Maude Montgomery, Pat McManus (humor), and I LOVE the writing style of Robin McKinley, although I don’t list her books as favorites. As far as actual favorite books...I’d have to go with Gone with the Wind, The Witch of Blackbird Pond, The Bride Finder, Anne of Green Gables, Good Old Boy: A Delta Boyhood, The Wild Hunt, The Pride of the Peacock and Mistress of Mellyn. Of course there are so many others if you broaden the spectrum, such as, The Ghost Belonged to Me, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, Andrew Henry’s Meadow, and anything by children’s author, Cynthia Rylant!

Well, that’s it for today’s questions; tune in next week for more with Marcia!

5 comments:

  1. I had to post this a little early, I wasn't sure if I'd have time to get it done tomorrow. :)

    My favorite movie kiss is from North and South as well, I love that movie and that ending...wow! I rewatched that scene an embarrassing amount the first time around. Just talking about it now makes me want to watch it again!

    I was also the one to ask about a werewolf story and can I just say, I was very excited with Marcia's answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the kiss in North and South too!!!! <3
    Thank you so much Marcia for taking the time to answer questions!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What great questions and fun answers! Thanks, Kathy and Marcia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun to read! Can't wait to see what your next post brings! Thanks Kathy and Marcia!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful interview! Thanks!!
    I figured that Marcia was getting some good kissin' , and somehow knowing Kevin is the kissing inspiration I think how lucky she is and how lucky we all are to get to experience such good kissing vicariously through Marcia's writing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!