Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Lord Fenton's Folly by Josie Kilpack


Lord Fenton is a gambler, a dandy, and a flirt—and he must marry or else he will be disinherited, stripped of his wealth and his position. He chooses Alice Stanbridge for two simple reasons: he once knew her as a young girl, and she is the least objectionable option available to him. However, Alice has harbored feelings for Fenton since their first meeting ten years ago, and she believes his proposal is real. When she discovers it is not, she is embarrassed and hurt. However, a match with the most-eligible bachelor in London would secure not only her future but that of her family as well.
I love Shadow Mountain's Proper Romance line. Seriously love them. Okay, I just had to get that out of the way.

I enjoyed this regency from Ms. Kilpack. I know she typically writes contemporary mystery and have been curious to see what her historicals would be like. I thought she wrote the regency setting well, I was sucked into the story and had to keep reading to see how it would all play out. I enjoyed the plot for this one, a bit different than your usual Regency. Alice fell for Lord Fenton when she was a child. Ten years later they are reunited and thrown into an engagement-of-convenience when he is forced to marry to prevent being disinherited. Lord Fenton has spent the past ten years attempting to vex his father in the best way he knew how, by being an irresponsible dandy.

I liked Alice, I thought it was great that she didn't fall all over Lord Fenton, even though she had harbored a crush on him for such a long time. Lord Fenton I never really warmed up to. I did like the idea for his character, I don't know if I've ever read a regency from a dandy's point of view. It was fun seeing them banter and to watch his feelings change for Alice and see him come to appreciate her and all she has to offer. They do have a sweet romance.

Overall, a fun regency. I look forward to reading more from Ms. Kilpack.

Content: Clean!

NewLDSFiction


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!