Friday, August 28, 2009

Top Ten Uses for an Unworn Prom Dress by Tina Ferraro

Genre: YA Fiction

Author Site: www.tinaferraro.com

First Line: “A heavenly floral scent surrounds me as the zipper of The Dress magically closes against my back.”

One Word Review: Cute

Summary: “Sophomore year, Nicolette Antonovich was dumped two days before prom by the hottest guy at school. As a result, she became the proud owner of one unworn, perfectly magical pink vintage dress. But Nic is determined to put that night behind her for good. She's a junior now— older, wiser, and completely overwhelmed by a new set of problems: (1) The bank's ready to foreclose on her childhood home. (2) Her father's too busy with his "replacement" daughter to care. (3) Her best friend's brother is an eternal thorn in her side. (4) Her best friend isn't exactly the rose attached to that thorn. (5) Rumors are flying around school that could get her kicked off the volleyball team, which would (6) ruin all chances of a college scholarship. (7) She still likes the boy who dumped her in the first place. (8) And what in the world do you do with an unworn prom dress, anyway? Strangely, it's getting to the bottom of this last dilemma that just might hold the answer to all Nic's problems.” -GoodReads

My Review: So, this reminded me a lot of a Janette Rallison novel. Either because of the super long title, or because of the cute teen atmosphere Ferraro created. I really enjoyed this story and Nicolette. Nicolette is dumped before prom by the school hottie, just days before the big event. She is heartbroken and still in love…with the dress. The summary does a good job describing the overall plot of the book, so I’ll just say that Jared is a sweetie, and he and Nic have good chemistry together. I could kind of understand where Alison is coming from. Its hard when your best friend gets a boyfriend, especially if that BF just happens to be your brother. I’m happy with how everything ended up with Jared, Nic and Alison. I did enjoyed the story and would recommend it to anyone that enjoys lighthearted teen-lit.

Side story…I brought this book to a Marine graduation ceremony today. Just wanted something light to read while I waiting for the program to start. Of course, it just so happens that the Commanding General of the entire base happens to walk by and ask what I’m reading! Not that there is anything wrong with a little “fluff” teen-lit book, but when you’re on a Marine base, it probably isn’t the most impressive thing to be reading. =)


Cover Comments: Hmmm, okay another reason I was probably embarrassed about the General asking about what I was reading was because of this cover. I’m just not a fan, and the girl looks like something out of the fifties.

1 comment:

  1. I read this a while back, but cannot remember what happened. It seems it was a light "throwaway" kind of book, but I remember it was cute. Good review.
    I like the cover because it looks like it was from the 50's and I like stuff like that :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!