Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mercy Thompson Homecoming by Patricia Briggs

Genre: Graphic Novel-Fantasy Fiction

Publication Date: August 2009

Author Website: www.patrciabriggs.com

Kathy’s Review: This is a prequel to the Mercy Thompson series and tells the story of how Mercy, Adam and the rest of the characters all met and why they settled in the Tri Cities.

I’ve had this on my hold list at the library for ages and I admit I was surprised when I picked it up today and found that it was a graphic novel (I was expecting a regular book). This is my first graphic novel (unless you count some comic books I read as a kid) and I wasn’t sure how to go about reviewing it. It was fun to see the characters visually, it moved along quickly and I liked finding out the back-story of how Adam and Mercy meet. Since it was my first graphic novel it took some getting used to, and although it was fun it kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I didn’t think the writing was that great (but maybe that’s just my lack of experience), I didn’t like the nudity (werewolves/walkers can’t keep their clothes when they change, so obviously it happens that they are nude some of the time), and overall it was just okay for me. If you’re reading the Thompson series then you will probably like this book.

I have a love/hate relationship with the series. Mercy has really grown on me and I have a huge crush on Adam. I think Adam is the only reason why I keep reading the series. It’s kind of dark, pretty violent at times and there is some subject matter that I don’t care for. Definitely a grown-up read and wouldn’t recommend it to teens. Like I said though, I like Adam and can’t wait to see what happens with him and Mercy in Silver Borne, which comes out in March.

Reading Order:
Prequel: Mercy Thompson Homecoming
Book One: Moon Called
Book Two: Blood Bound
Book Three: Iron Kissed
Book Four: Bone Crossed
Book Five: Silver Borne (March 2010)
Book Six: TBD
Book Seven: TBD

Spin-off Series
Book One: Cry Wolf
Book Two: Hunting Ground

2 comments:

  1. I love graphic novels! I haven't gotten to this one yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brain just doesn't understand graphic novels. I think there must be a special gene and I am lacking it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!