Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Host by Stephenie Meyer (part II)

Jessica has already written a review about this book, also providing a description of the book so I will skip that part and just add my review. Like many before me, I had a hard time getting into this book. I read over and over how it gets better after page 150. I really had to push myself to get to that point, and in those 150 pages not much happens. In summary, Wanderer (alien) has taken over Melanie’s (human) body. Melanie doesn’t give up, and slowly Wanderer begins to have compassion for the human race, falls for the memory of Melanie’s love interest, Jared, and decides to help Melanie return to her family. I’m still not sure why it took that many pages to figure all that out, but it did.

As the book moves on I slowly began to get into it a little more. I would find myself thinking “just one more chapter”, even though it was late at night and I was pretty tired. That is always a sign of a good book. Although, I don’t love the idea of body-snatchers and it’s always in the back of your mind that Melanie is trapped, I really started to like Wanda. I liked how Meyers was able to separate the relationship between Wanda and Ian, and Melanie and Jared. I enjoyed the story, but thought the book could have used a good edit, it just seemed a little too long or too descriptive in parts. I was happy with the ending. I am one that truly believes in the “happily ever after” and love when books have happy endings. I know some would think it’s not realistic, but I think happy endings are possible. It seems like Stephenie Meyers left it open for a sequel, it would be interesting to see what happens, and maybe in the future there will be a way for Souls and Humans to live together. I ended up liking the book a lot more than I thought I would.

Sorry Jess for writing another review, I just couldn’t help myself with this book. I guess we’re just drawn to the same books and we’ll constantly be overlapping each other. =)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked it Kath. I thought it was good too and agree it needs a serious edit. I hadn't thought of a sequel.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!