Thursday, April 2, 2009

Envy by Anna Godbersen

“Two months after Elizabeth Holland’s dramatic homecoming, Manhattan eagerly awaits her return to the pinnacle of society. When Elizabeth refuses to rejoin her sister Diana’s side, however, those watching New York’s favorite family begin to suspect that all is not as it seems behind the stately doors of No. 17 Gramercy Park South. Farther uptown, Henry and Penelope Schoonmaker are the city’s most celebrated couple. But despite the glittering diamond ring on Penelope’s finger, the newlyweds share little more than scorn for each other. And while the newspapers call Penelope’s social-climbing best friend, Carolina Broad, an heiress, her fortune—and her fame—are anything but secure, especially now that one of society’s darlings is slipping tales to the eager press.”

What is it about these books? Once I start reading I couldn’t put them down. I once again was drawn up into the drama of 1900 New York society. I have a love-hate relationship with these characters, there are defiantly those that I am rooting for and those that really need to get what’s coming to them. I enjoyed this third book as much as the first two, maybe a little more. For the most part, the characters really grow and thought about the people around them and not just themselves. Diana is definitely my favorite, although she made some poor choices in this book, I am excited to see what adventure she gets herself into in the next installment. Henry continues to grow on me. He really starts to come into his own, and finally starts to stand up for himself. I’m not sure if it’s all a little too late, but I enjoyed the twist his path has taken and am eager to see how his character continues to grow. Elizabeth was a bit more real to me, it was obvious what her condition was at the beginning, but she wasn’t as whiny as she had been in previous books. Carolina and Penelope both continue to drive me crazy! I really hope things are able to work out for Teddy, not sure how this is going to happen now, but he is probably the only nice, good guy in the entire book and he deserves a little happiness. I am sad it will be about six months before the next book comes out. What am I suppose to do until then?

Book One: The Luxe
Book Two: Rumors
Book Three: Envy
Book Four: Slendor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!