Friday, June 5, 2009

The Conjurer Princess by Vivian Vande Velde

"Some girls grow up fast. Especially princesses. One day Lylene was a bridesmaid, all dressed up for her older sister's wedding to a neighboring prince. Six months later, Lylene was a wizard's apprentice, determined to gain the power to rescue her sister from the armed kinghts who had kidnapped her at the alter. The wizard gave Lylene the power to conjure a "fetch," a temporary copy of anything--a sword, a horse, even a person. And now Lylene is on the road to revenge, armed with nothing but her new magical power, and a couple of outlaw companions. Handsome outlaws, to be sure. But outlaws nonetheless." -Book cover

I don't even remember putting this on my to-read list, but it was waiting with the rest of my books at the library so I went ahead and checked it out. This was just okay for me, and was luckily a pretty short read. The plot idea was pretty good, the execution not so much. It felt like there was too much going on and at the same time not a lot of actual character development. It moved along a bit too quickly. I liked Weiland and Shile much more than I liked Lylene. The "aging" she goes through was odd and I could have done without that. I'll stop complaining, overall just an okay read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!