Sunday, June 28, 2009

Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard

"To impress the popular girls on a high school trip to London, klutzy Callie buys real Prada heels. But trying them on, she trips…conks her head…and wakes up in the year 1815! There Callie meets Emily, who takes her in, mistaking her for a long-lost friend. As she spends time with Emily’s family, Callie warms to them—particularly to Emily’s cousin Alex, a hottie and a duke, if a tad arrogant. But can Callie save Emily from a dire engagement, and win Alex’s heart, before her time in the past is up?" -GoodReads

For our date night last night my husband and I went to Barnes and Noble (geeks, right?), while we were there I saw this and I’ve heard good things so my husband purchased it for me. Hmm, where to start? I guess I’ll begin with all the things I liked about the book. It was a pretty creative idea, sending a modern-day girl way back to 1815! Callie starts out as a totally clumsy, self-conscience girl with a deep desire to win the approval of her popular classmates. Arriving at Harksbury 1815, she soon takes on the identity of “Rebecca” and old family friend from America. As Rebecca, Callie is able to grow quite a bit and learns to stick up for herself which will hopefully remain if she makes it back to her proper time. Alex was a fun leading-man and I enjoyed the interaction between him and Callie, a.k.a. Rebecca.

Okay, the few things I didn’t like. Callie is suppose to be a pretty smart girl, so you’d think she would realize that customs and standards were obviously different back in 1815. So, it was a bit unbelievable when she would get as upset as she did with Alex for worrying about social order, and the limitations women had during that time. She almost took it as a personal insult, which in that time it really wouldn’t have been. The only other thing that bothered me was more on a personal note, the author uses the Lord’s name in vain A LOT, I hate that in books, and it was rather distracting.

All in all, it was an enjoyable read, fun for a Sunday afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. I've been trying to find this at my library, but it isn't there yet. Hopefully they will get it sooner than later!:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!