Monday, August 17, 2009

Once Upon A Merigold by Jean Ferris

Genre: Fantasy (Middle Grade)

Author Site: www.jeanferris.com

First Line: “Edric knew he should head for home.”

One Word Review: Whimsical

Summary: “Christian is gaga for Princess Marigold. But he's just a commoner, and no match for royalty. Heck, he lives in a cave with a troll! And now he's discovered another reason to put his love-soggy heart on ice: Queen Olympia is scheming to take over the kingdom--and she'll bump off her own daughter to do it. Can Christian foil her diabolical plans? Not only is Christian discovering things about Olympia but also about himself. It is these secrets that let him be with Princess Marigold.” -GoodReads

My Review: I thought this was a cute story, probably meant for a younger audience. I loved Ed, he was a fun character with a big heart and quirky personality. Christian and Marigold were also likable, although some of their conversations seemed a little unrealistic to me. I didn’t really “feel” anything between them, but that’s probably because it’s meant for a younger audience. I did like how they corresponded through p-mail (pigeon-mail) which was cute. The overall story was fun, not too many surprises but an enjoyable read. I think kids in elementary/middle school would enjoy this story.


One thing I didn't like that much was how it would change point of view throughout the chapter, this can be a little distracting. I don't mind it so much if its changed every other chapter, but when its changed mutliple times in the same chapter it can be confusing.

Reading Order:
Book One: Once Upon A Marigold
Book Two: Twice Upon A Marigold

Other Reviews:
Always Something To Read
KidzBookNook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!