Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Catching Fire - Jess's Take

Spoiler Alert: The following does contain spoilers.


I know a book is good when I can read it in 2 days when I have three kids and it's a holiday weekend. I could not put this book down and I have the bags under my eyes to show for it. Kath gave a great review of this book but I just felt like I had to put in my two cents...okay more like 50 cents! I don't' know if it's just because I haven't read anything riveting lately, but this book really drew me in. I don't usually like books written in the first person but for some reason it really works in this book and I feel like I AM Katniss. I hope that didn't sound weird. I can just feel her conflict as if they were my own thoughts. Katniss is such a great character. She isn't too idyllic nor too imperfect....she is just real. I like Peeta although he is just a tad too self-sacrificing. I usually find love triangles super annoying but this one is written so well. My take is that Gale is who she should want but doesn't deep down. Peeta seems all wrong for her but is the yin to her yang. I know the yin/yang thing took you back to the 80's but I couldn't resist. I like Gale but I'm not attached to him. I have a feeling that will change in the next book though. He will probably play a more prominent roll. When I found out they were going back to the Hunger Games I worried that it was too formulated. The fact that she could create the fear and intensity a second time was amazing. I'll tell you what, Suzanne Collins is one sick twisted freak to come up with some of that stuff and I loved every minute. The mockingjay's mimicking their loved ones raised the hair on my neck. I liked all the new characters and the mystery of what is going to happen. The cliffhanger killed me. I can't wait for the next one. Has she announced when it is coming out? Kath will know.

3 comments:

  1. So glad you both loved it! Wasn't it just TERRIFIC?

    Gotta say, I'm Team Gale :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I could be happy with whomever she chooses. With Twilight I was so Team Jacob that I was almost disappointed with Edward. With this series they both seem like they could be right. I just don't know Gale well enough to really really like him like I do Peeta. I think I'll be Team Switzerland leaning towards Peeta! How's that for non-committal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping for more from Gale in the next book. Glad you liked it.

    Team Katniss though!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!