Tuesday, October 13, 2009

If I Have a Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince? by Melissa Kantor

Genre: YA Fiction

Author Website: www.melissakantor.com

One Word Review: Okay

First Line: “I tapped my pen against my lips, debating whether or not Cinderella is actually friendless.”

Synopsis: “When high school sophomore Lucy Norton’s father remarries, Lucy’s life is turned upside down. She and her father move from their West Coast home to a suburb on Long Island. With a small basement, unlimited chores, a blank social calendar, and a huge crush on the dashing prince of the varsity basketball team, Lucy’s life has the makings of a Cinderella story—complete with two bratty stepsisters and a wicked stepmother. So isn’t she supposed to get the prince? And go to the senior prom?”

Kathy’s Review: I’ll start with the things I liked. I liked Lucy, for the most part. I like the interactions she has at home with her family, and surprisingly they were more entertaining than her interactions with her classmates. The overall story moved along quickly (although I did skim over some), but was fairly predictable.

I’m trying to figure out what to say without giving away spoilers. I thought it was awkward that Lucy didn’t have ANY friends, and then the hottest guy in school likes her and all of the sudden she has a million friends. She had been at school long enough you’d think she would have made at least one friend; I just thought that was kind of odd. I didn’t really care for the ending. I think things were wrapped up too quickly and didn’t really make a lot of sense. Although I didn’t think Connor was the best match for Lucy, he did seem genuinely interested so I was confused with how everything played out. I also never understood Sam. He was kind of a jerky quite guy who was hardly in the book, then *bam* he’s all over the place. I guess the author was saying that maybe Prince Charming (Connor) isn’t all he’s cracked up to be, and maybe you should be looking for someone who you actually have things in common.

Overall, just okay for me.

2 comments:

  1. This one looks interesting, but I think I'll pass due to your insightful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it, but it was incredibly predictable.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!