Saturday, January 9, 2010

Damsel Under Stress by Shanna Swendson

Genre: Fiction

Publication Date: May 2007

Author Website: http://www.shannaswendson.com/

One Word Review: Good

First Line: “The last thing I expected to see when I stepped through the door of the coffee shop was a fairy godmother."

Synopsis: At last, Owen Palmer, the dreamboat wizard at Magic, Spells, and Illusions, Inc., has conjured up the courage to get Katie Chandler under the mistletoe at the office holiday party. But just when it looks like Katie has found her prince, in pops her inept fairy godmother, Ethelinda, to throw a wand into the works. Ethelinda’s timing couldn’t be worse. A plot hatched by MSI’s rogue ex-employees, Idris and his evil fairy gal pal Ari, threatens to expose the company’s secrets–and the very existence of magic itself. Even worse, it could also mean the end of Katie’s happily-ever-after. Now Katie and Owen must work side by side (but alas, not cheek to cheek) to thwart the villains’ plans. Braving black-magic-wielding sorceresses, subway-dwelling dragons, lovelorn frog princes, and even the dreaded trip to meet Owen’s parents at Christmas, Katie and her beau are in a battle to beat Idris at his own sinister game. All mischief and matters of the heart will come to a head at a big New Year’s Eve gala, when the crystal ball will drop, champagne will pour, and Katie will find herself truly spellbound.GoodReads

Kathy’s Review: I have a lot of mixed feelings about this one. I’m still enjoying the series and the book totally ended where I want to run out and grab the next installment. This story had the same feel as the first two books and kept me turning the pages. It had a few twists along the way and even introduced a few new characters that I really liked. There are a few inconsistencies with magic that don’t make sense, and I kind of have to turn off my analytical brain and just enjoy the story (can’t really give any example without giving away spoilers).

I was really frustrated with the relationship of Owen and Katie (which was probably the authors intent). In this installment they are *finally* and item, but you’d hardly tell by the way they act with one another. There disastrous dates make for interesting reading, but did get a little old after awhile. I suppose it’s a good set up for the next book, but I still would have liked a little more romance in their romance. Owen comes across cold and disinterested most of the time, and Katie is always rationalizing his behavior. They just don’t act like a new couple in love, even though they claim to be. And their conversations and dialog really left me wanting for more. I suppose all the mayhem around them could have something to do with that.

They still have enough chemistry to keep me interested and the story is still a lot of fun. I really enjoy the series, its a fun break from reality.

Reading Order:
Book One: Enchanted, Inc.
Book Two: Once Upon Stilettos
Book Three: Damsel Under Stress
Book Four: Don’t Hex with Texas

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!