Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Match Made In High School by Kristin Walker

Genre: Teen Lit

Publication Date: February 2010

One Word Review: Okay

Author Website: www.kristin-walker.com

First Line: “I should have known.”

Synopsis: When the principal announces that every senior must participate in a mandatory year-long Marriage Education program, Fiona Sheehan believes that her life can’t get any worse. Then she marries her “husband”: Jerky jock Todd, whose cheerleader girlfriend, Amanda, has had it in for Fiona since day one of second grade. Even worse? Amanda is paired with Fiona’s long-term crush, Gabe. At least Fiona is doing better than her best friend, Marcie, who is paired up with the very quiet, very mysterious Johnny Mercer. Pranks, fights, misunderstandings, and reconciliations ensue in an almost Shakespearean comedy of errors about mistaken first impressions, convoluted coupling, and hidden crushes. --GoodReads

Kathy’s Review: I was lucky enough to interview Kristin Walker a couple weeks ago about A Match Made In High School, since then I’ve been looking forward to reading it. I enjoyed the story, I thought the premise was original and handled pretty well. At times I really liked Fiona, and other times not as much. I think she got blamed a little too much for some things and although it was good for her to own up to some stuff, she wasn’t the only one to blame. In fact, it seemed like some of the things that were done to her were way worse than anything she did. Anyway, on the romance side I liked who she ended up with, but I would have liked a little more relationship build up between them. Overall, it was a fun, entertaining read.

Kristin warned me that there was swearing, which she knows I don’t really care for in books. So although I was prepared for it, I still didn’t like how much swearing there really was. There were also some crude jokes, but otherwise it was pretty clean. The only very minor thing that bugged me was that the last names of Johnny Mercer and Gabe Webber were way over used. I’m sure we know who Johnny and Gabe are; we don’t really need to keep hearing their last names throughout the entire book.

Bookworm Rating: 2.5
(mainly because of language & crude jokes)

1 comment:

  1. Well it sounds like a sweet read. Language does make it difficult. I find parents are not too keen to have their children reading books with swearing in and do it reduces the target audience somewhat.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!