Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Naughty List by Suzanne Young

Genre: Teen Lit

Publication Date: February 2010

One Word Review: Disappointing

Author Website: www.suzanne-young.blogspot.com

First Line: “Sigh.”

Synopsis: Tessa Crimson’s the sweet and spunky leader of the SOS (Society of Smitten Kittens), a cheer squad–turned–spy society dedicated to bringing dastardly boyfriends to justice, one cheater at a time. Boyfriend-busting wouldn’t be so bad . . . except that so far, every suspect on the Naughty List has been proven 100% guilty! When Tessa’s own boyfriend shows up on the List, she turns her sleuthing skills on him. Is Aiden just as naughty as all the rest, or will Tessa’s sneaky ways end in catastrophe?

Kathy’s Review: I was actually pretty disappointed in this one. I knew the premise was about cheating boyfriends, but there was a lot of sex and really bad language throughout. I liked Tessa and thought the premise sounded cute and original, and I did enjoy parts of the book. It took a few different turns that I wasn’t expecting and since I did enjoy part of it I decided to give it a couple stars. I just didn’t like all the “hooking up” and bad language. Oh, I also didn’t like that Tessa would constantly say things like “cranberry juice” in place of a swearwords, it was pretty annoying. I also didn’t care for her boyfriend, Aiden. They’d been together for two years and he still swore around her and did other things that he knew she didn’t like; it just seemed like he didn't respecte her and was just using her for “hook ups”. Again, just disappointed, I think it had a lot of potential but went a totally different way.


Bookworm Rating: 2
(for language and sexual content)

3 comments:

  1. Why do authors think that writing like this is okay for YA?? I myself started a book last week that was full of swearing and sex...it was awful!! Thanks for keeping it real Kath! Hugs, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Deb- yeah, I was disappointed in this one. I kept reading because I was curious if she had a point or had some kind of moral lesson, which she didnt. Its a shame to, because it could have been really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this last week, and while I agree that sometimes the relationship seemed to be more about hooking up than true love on Aiden's end, I LOVED the fake swearing and the way that Tessa imposed it on all her friends--I've been dropping some of her language around the house lately. Too often teens feel like the only way to express strong feeling is with trashy language, and I loved that Tessa had another way of dealing with things.

    I also thought that the book was the perfect counterpart to something like Mean Girls, because it showed that a popular girl or "queen bee" can have a lot of depth and kindness of spirit. And the ending was pretty awesome, not gonna lie.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!