Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Fashionably Late by Beth Kendrick

Genre: Chick Lit

Publication Date: January 2006

One Word Review: Okay

Author Website: www.bethkendrick.com

First Line
: "I knew what was coming as soon as he handed me the teddy bear."

Synopsis: Becca Davis has always played it safe -- denying her passion for fashion design in a dead-end job and letting her pragmatic boyfriend (mastermind of the "Kevin Bradley Ten-Year Plan") make the tough decisions in life. Stunned into saying yes when Mr. Predictable springs a surprise proposal on her, Becca realizes that she's running out of time to turn her life around. She's only got one more chance to chase her dreams and no one -- not her control freak fiancé, not her dramaholic sisters, not her overprotective parents -- will talk her out of it. Terrified but determined, Becca breaks off her engagement, moves in with her sister in Los Angeles, and prepares to take the fashion world by storm. The reality of the Hollywood scene is much harsher than she anticipated -- lots of slamming doors, snooty clients, and double-crossing celebrity stylists -- but she won't give up. And while she's waiting for her big break, she meets Connor, a sexy risk-taker who's the polar opposite of her ex-fiancé. Is Becca ready for his all-or-nothing approach to love?

Kathy's Review
: I really enjoyed Exes and Ohs by Beth Kendrick and was looking forward to reading some of her other books. My library happened to have Fashionably Late in, so I decided to give it a try. I admist, I was a little bored with this one. I liked Becca, although the whole fashion industry is completely foreign to me. I really liked Conner at first (especially his cheesy pick-up lines), but as they continued to get to know each other it almost felt like Becca was just trying to be something he would like, instead of being herself. Everything seems to work out though and I was happy with how everything ended up. I really didn't like Becca's sister Claire, I thought she was awful. The best word I could think of to describe thisbook was worldly. The whole fashion industry, Hollywood lifestly and lack of morals were all very unattractive and for me hard to relate to. So, for me this was just okay. I think if you enjoy chick lit you would probably enjoy this.

Content Warning: There is some swearing and a little sexual content, but otherwise its pretty clean.

Bookworm Rating: 2.5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!