Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Icing on the Cake by Elodia Strain

Genre: Chick Lit

Publication Date: January 2007

One Word Review: Enjoyable

Author Website: www.elodiastrain.com

First Line: "When I was twelve years old, my mom bought me a diary."

GoodReads Synopsis: It started with a cake. A rather innocent-looking cake, too, but that cake would open the door to opportunity - and disaster - for sweet-toothed, bargain-savvy Annabelle Pleasanton. In fact, between a promotion at work, her best friend's engagement, and her discovery of handsome photographer Isaac Matthews, that little cake has managed to turn Annabelle's world upside down. Things go from complicated to downright crazy as Annabelle discovers that handling her new writing assignment and plotting her friend's surprise bridal shower isn't going as easy as she'd hoped. Okay, okay - and appearing as a graceful, charming woman in the presence of Isaac is turning out to be, well, more than just a bit of a catastrophe. Not that Rona, a gorgeous boyfriend-snatching flirt, is helping things in the slightest. And just when things couldn't get any worse, smarmy womanizer Patrique worms his way into her life. Managing her life with the two of them in the picture may be more than she can handle. Then, when a misunderstanding threatens to destroy her job, her most cherished friendship, and her relationship with Isaac, Annabelle's courage and integrity are put to the test.

Kathy's Review: I've seen this book around for awhile now and finally had the opportunity to pick up a copy while I was home visiting family over the weekend. I ended up really enjoying the story and characters. I liked Annabelle; she is easy to relate to, funny, and a really good person. Annabelle ends up in a few embarrassing situations, but she handles them well. I liked our leading man Isaac, and was rooting for him throughout the story. There were a few misunderstandings along the way, and I thought the author did a good job showing that not everything is as it appears, and we should be careful before we jump to conclusions. I really enjoyed the story and look forward to reading the second book, Previously Engaged. I would totally recommend this to anyone who enjoys a fun romantic story.

Bookworm Rating: 4.5

Reading Order:
Book One: The Icing on the Cake
Book Two: Previously Engaged


What is your favorite romantic comedy novel?


2 comments:

  1. I really want to read this one. However our library system doesn't even have it. Hopefully we will get it!! Great review as always, hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very cute.

    My favorite romantic novel is anything by Meg Cabot. Her adult romcom's are so cute and fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!