Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Heavenly Surrender by Marcia Lynn McClure

Genre: Historical Romance

Publication Date: 2001

One Word Review: Okay

Author Website: www.marcialynnmcclure.com


GoodReads Synopsis: Genieva Bankmans had willfully agreed to the arrangement. She had given her word and she would not dishonor it. Yet when she saw, for the first time, the man whose advertisement she'd answered...she was desperately intimidated. The handsome and powerful Brevan McLean was not what she'd expected-he was not the sort of man she'd reconciled herself to marrying. This man-the stranger whose name Genieve now bore-was strong-willed, quick-tempered and expectant of much from his new wife. Brevan McLean did not deny that he had married her for practical reasons only. He merely wanted any woman whose hard work would provide him assistance with the brutal demands of farm life. Still, Genieva would learn there were far darker things, grave secrets held unspoken by Brevan McLean concerning his family and his land. Genieva Bankmans McLean would find herself in the midst of treachery, violence and villainy-her estranged husband deeply entangled in it.

Kathy’s Review: I think my expectations may have been a little high for this one. I thought the plot sounded fun and I’ve grown to love the old western setting. I just couldn’t get past the (sorry to say) awful Spanish and Irish accents. Brevan (as well as Brian & Brenna) sounded like an Irish Yoda. Their way of speaking just distracted me from the story, as well as Lita (and her brothers) Spanish accents. While I did think the story was sweet, I thought it was missing some of the tension that really captures your attention. I was a little tired of Brevan and Genieva both being in love but doing nothing about it. When Genieva went to bed exhausted from all the farm labor, I felt exhausted as well. I know I wouldn’t have been a very good rancher’s wife. I admired her coming from the busy city life and adjusting so well to the frontier life. However, looking back on it, I don’t think her need to “run away” was really fully developed, and was a little disappointed with how things played out with her family. The secrets that Brevan were keeping also ended up being a little lackluster; I couldn’t see any reason why he would have kept them from Genieva. Anyway, I would have liked a little more tension between Brevan and Genieva, as well as a little more build up with the “bad guys”; I never really felt any real fear of them or the situation. Overall, it was an enjoyable read and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys McClure’s novels.

Bookworm Rating: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!