Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Visions of Ransom Lake by Marcia Lynn McClure

Genre: Historical Romance

Publication Date: July 2002

One Word Review: Comfy

Author Website: www.marcialynnmcclure.com

First Line: “Oh, Vonnie…this is so exciting!”

GoodReads Synopsis: Youthful beauty, naïve innocence, a romantic imagination thirsting for adventure-an apt description of Vaden Valmont, who would soon find the adventure and mystery she had always longed to experience-in the form of a man. A somber recluse, Ransom Lake descended from his solitary concealment in the mountains, wholly disinterested in people and their trivial affairs. And somehow, young Vaden managed to be ever in his way-either by accident or because of her own unique ability to stumble into a quandary. Yet the enigmatic Ransom Lake would involuntarily become Vaden's unwitting tutor. Through him, she would experience joy and passion the like even Vaden had never imagined. Yes, Vaden Valmont stepped innocently, yet irrevocably, into love with the secretive, seemingly callous man-Ransom Lake. But there were other life's lessons Ransom Lake would inadvertently convey to her as well. The darker side of life-despair, guilt, heartache. Would Ransom Lake be the means of Vaden's dreams come true? Or the cause of her complete desolation?

Kathy’s Review: Marcia McClure is quickly becoming a favorite author. I’ve read a couple of her eBooks and two of her novels, all have been a pleasure to read. I wasn’t sure what to expect from this one, I had read a few reviews that said this was their favorite McClure book so I gave it a try. I really enjoyed the story, the romance and the setting. Vaden starts off very naïve, young and full of life. I actually wondered how old she was because she was acting so young, but her character does grow throughout the story. I think she was a bit hung up on Ransom, I would have liked a little more independence, but it is a “romance” novel so o-well. I also really liked Ransom, he is a great leading man, full of troubles, grumpy and you know deep down he’s a teddy bear. I liked that Ransom and Vaden brought out the best in each other and of course they had great chemistry. Overall, I really enjoyed the story and will definitely be reading more McClure books in the near future!

What kept this from being a “five star” rating was first, the names. I am not a fan of weird character names (Ransom and Vaden??). Second, it also bothers me when authors use a characters full name throughout the entire book. The whole book we hear Ransom Lake this and Ransom Lake that. I think we know his name; Idon’t need to be reminded of it all the time. Just a personal pet-peeve. And lastly, the majority of the story takes place in winter and yet Ransom seems to be running around with his shirt off an awful lot (not that that is a bad thing, just not consistent with the weather, IMO).

Bookworm Rating: 4.5

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the review, I'm also considering reading this book, so it was helpfull.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!