Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Prairie Prince by Marcia Lynn McClure

Genre: Historical Romance

Publication Date: April 2008

One Word Review: Enjoyable

Author Website: www.marcialynnmcclure.com


GoodReads Synopsis: For Katie Matthews life held no promise of true happiness. Life on the prairie was filled with hard labor, a brutal father, and the knowledge she would need to marry a man incapable of truly loving a woman. Men didn't have time to dote on women-so Katie's father told her. To Katie, it seemed life would forever remain mundane and disappointing-until the day Stover Steele bought her father's south acreage. Handsome, rugged and fiercely protective of four orphaned sisters, Stover Steele seemed to have stepped from the pages of some romantic novel. Yet, his heroic character and alluring charm only served to remind Katie of what she would never have-true love and happiness the likes found only in fairytales. Furthermore, evil seemed to lurk in the shadows, threatening Katie's brightness, hope, and even her life! Would Katie Matthews fall prey to disappointment, heartache and harm? Or could she win the attentions of the handsome Stover Steele long enough to be rescued?

Kathy’s Review: This was another enjoyable story from Marcia McClure. I was glad at least one of the leading characters had a normal name (Katie), even though our hero (Stover) was stuck with a very unique one. I did enjoy Katie and Stover, although I felt the book went by a little too quickly. While I realize this is a “romance” book, I still would have liked a little more buildup between Katie and Stover; I love a little more tension at the beginning. The side story of Jared and Pillar was sweet and I loved Stovers three little sisters. I also thought Katie’s home life added a little more depth to the story, and was happy that everything ended up well. All in all, I thought this was a good book and one I would read again.

I just have to get this off my chest, the only thing that bothered me about this story was how whenever Katie was thinking about Stover (which was all the time) she always thought of him as “Stover Steele” I guess I just got tired of hearing his first and last name throughout the entire story. This happened with a couple other characters as well, and I just wonder what the significance is with using his last name all the time? I guess it’s just a personal pet peeve of mine and distracts from the flow of the story…at least for me.

Bookworm Rating: 4

1 comment:

  1. I've been reading some McClure and some are definitely better than others. I would stay away from Crimson Frost, it's somewhat painful. But read the Whispered Kiss. It's a Beauty and the Beast redo that I really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!