Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Genre: YA Fantasy
Publication Date: September 2010
One Word Review: Good
Author Website: www.sophiejordan.net

First Line: “Gazing out at the quiet lake, I know the risk is worth it.”

GoodReads Synopsis: Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form. Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.

Kathy’s Review: Hmm, I’m wavering between a 3 and a 4 on this one. I got sucked in right from the start; the first part was kind of exciting and new. About halfway through I got a little…bored. Not sure if that’s the right word, I still liked the story and characters, but got a little restless with Jacinda wavering between Will being dangerous and needing to stay away and Will being her only hope and can’t keep herself away. I know on some level they are both drawn to each other and have very intense feelings. BUT, not only does it seem too fast, but also unsubstantiated. They hardly speak and yet are totally in love. I don’t know, I have a hard time believing in couples when there hasn’t been much interaction between them. I guess I don’t believe in the “love at first sight” myth. Having said that, I do like Will. I think he is a good leading man and I can see why she likes him right away. I also like Cassian, he has the whole Alpha Male thing going for him. The ending, if you can call it that, was a bit abrupt. I would have liked a little more things tied up. It left me hanging and wanting to get my hands on the next book…so I guess that’s a good thing. Overall, I enjoyed the book quite a bit. The writing is well done and the characters are interesting, the story is original and I’m excited to see what happens next.

Bookworm Rating: 4

Reading Order:
Book One: Firelight
Book Two: Vanish
Book Three:

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!