Thursday, July 5, 2012

Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter

Synopsis:
Katarina Bishop has worn a lot of labels in her short life life. Friend. Niece. Daughter. Thief. But for the last two months she’s simply been known as the girl who ran the crew that robbed the greatest museum in the world. That’s why Kat isn’t surprised when she’s asked to steal the infamous Cleopatra Emerald so it can be returned to its rightful owners. There are only three problems. First, the gem hasn’t been seen in public in thirty years. Second, since the fall of the Egyptian empire and the suicide of Cleopatra, no one who holds the emerald keeps it for long, and in Kat’s world, history almost always repeats itself. But it’s the third problem that makes Kat’s crew the most nervous and that is simply… the emerald is cursed. Kat might be in way over her head, but she’s not going down without a fight. After all she has her best friend—the gorgeous Hale—and the rest of her crew with her as they chase the Cleopatra around the globe, dodging curses, realizing that the same tricks and cons her family has used for centuries are useless this time. Which means, this time, Katarina Bishop is making up her own rules.

Review:
I think I liked this one as much as the first. Unlike some series, each book covers its own heist and has its own plot and could probably stand on its own (although I recommend reading them in order). I thought this was entertaining. Kat is a likable heroine; she starts out a bit cocky in this one. She thinks she can do it all on her own, as the story progresses though she realizes just how important it is to have a team and friends to support her. I like all the characters in the book and it was fun being along on their ride. I liked Hale in this one. I was a little frustrated with the whole Hale-Kat relationship, there was too much left unsaid I guess. I’ve recently been on a regency kick where the romance is the main point of the story and in this series it kind of takes a back seat, and to be honest I wish there was a tad more where the romance is involved.

Overall, I think this is a great series. It’s clean, lighthearted, smart and a fun way to pass the time. I look forward to reading the next book; I just wish I didn’t have to wait so long!

Content: Clean.

Reading Order:
Book One: Heist Society
Book Two: Uncommon Criminals
Book Three: Perfect Scoundrels (Feb 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!