Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Eyes of Ember by Rebecca L Ethington

Joclyn is in hiding, hunted by the man she still desperately loves. Ryland is gone. But, Joclyn’s heart desperately begs her to hold out hope. Ilyan. The man who once stalked her, is now Joclyn’s protector, the only thing she has left. He protects Joclyn from the men who seek to end her life, and while she is haunted by dreams where Ryland begs her to break the bond between them. Ilyan trains and prepares her, teaching her everything she needs to know in the hope that one day she can avenge Ryland, if not protect herself from him.  And then there is her father.  The man who has never been there, is suddenly responsible for everything. And who he is has made Joclyn into something she never wanted to be. The Silnį»³.


My Review: This is the second book in the Imdalind series. I don’t really know how to write this review without giving things away. In some ways I liked the first book more, the second book is a bit darker and Jocelyn is going through some tough situations. Even though she is supposed to be super powerful, a lot of the book is spent with her healing and afraid. I would have liked to see her more confident and really embrace all her powers. I also kind of wish her character were older. Which brings me to Ilyan. I have to say, I can see why so many people probably switch from Team Ryland to Team Ilyan, but I’m still on the fence. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a great guy and his personal story is pretty cool and how loyal he is to Jocelyn. I think part of my problem is that he is like 1000 and she is 16. Gross. I just couldn’t get their age differences out of my head. I also didn’t feel a lot of chemistry between them, at least not a romantic one. Maybe I was still holding out hope for Ryland, I loved him in the first book and my heart breaks for him in the second book. While you’re always wondering about Rylands true intentions, a part of me just think he is another victim in his father’s evil schemes. I just missed the Ryland from book one. Which made me hold out on really warming up to Ilyan.

I do like how original the story is. The author has created her own mythology and magic. At times the names are a tad confusing, at least for me, but overall I like the world she has created. I think the next two books take place from a different characters POV, I’m a little nervous about that. Book two ends with quite a few questions and we might not get back to Jocelyn and Iylan’s story for a few books. It seems like jumping to different characters might throw off the flow of the story. Hopefully I’m wrong. Overall, it’s a fun, original series.

Content: Pretty clean. Some violence and mildly disturbing elements.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!