Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Distance Between Us by Kasie West


Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company.

She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.
I have been looking forward to reading this since I finished the authors first novel, Pivot Point. While Pivot Point had more of a fantasy feel to it, The Distance Between Us was a contemporary YA story. The characters are seventeen and still in high school. I actually thought they were a little older, and since there is no time spent with them at school it felt more like a New Adult book to me.

I enjoyed the story and had a hard time putting it down. I liked out main characters Caymen and Xander. I like that things started out slow where they built more of a friendship before things progressed to anything else. I don’t really buy into the insta-love stories so I thought this was a refreshing change. There is even a bit of a love-triangle, which was handled really well and was believable.

I admit I was expecting something lighthearted, maybe along the lines of Janette Rallison (not sure why), but the book is a little more series than that. It has its funny moments, but there are also other issues going on that I didn’t see coming. When you start to realize Caymen’s mom has been keeping something secret I got a little nervous.  I don’t really like reading too much drama and after reading Glimmer of Hope by Sarah Eden I was nervous what her mom’s secret was going to be. I guess I was expecting the worst and it did keep me from really enjoying the story. I think know that I know what the secret is I would enjoy the book a little more. (hide spoiler)] It’s not until the end that we find out what is going on. When I got to the 90% mark I started to wonder how things were going to wrap up. I’m assuming this is a standalone and if that’s the case I kind of wish the last 10% of the book or so would have happened earlier in the story. There are just so many questions I have and would have liked to see play out earlier in the book. Like, Caymen finding out her mom’s secret about her parents. Having Caymen get to know her grandparents and how their lifestyle would affect her. Does Caymen ever find her dad and what was the story that made him leave. What happens with Xander and Caymen? Where do they end up going to school, do they go to the same school? I want to know that now that they are finally a couple if they will stay together and get their happily ever after. (hide spoiler)] I did enjoy the story though and it was fun to see their relationship unfold. I did want Caymen to question him about things a little more. Maybe it’s just me, but she keeps quite a lot where if I were in the same situation he would be peppered with questions until my very curious mind was at ease.

Overall, I enjoyed it and have added Kasie West to my auto-buy author list. I know I will love whatever she writes. If you enjoy the contemporary YA genre you have to check this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!