Saturday, April 5, 2014

Stolen Songbird by Danielle Jensen

For five centuries, a witch’s curse has bound the trolls to their city beneath the ruins of Forsaken Mountain. Time enough for their dark and nefarious magic to fade from human memory and into myth. But a prophesy has been spoken of a union with the power to set the trolls free, and when Cécile de Troyes is kidnapped and taken beneath the mountain, she learns there is far more to the myth of the trolls than she could have imagined. Cécile has only one thing on her mind after she is brought to Trollus: escape. Only the trolls are clever, fast, and inhumanly strong. She will have to bide her time, wait for the perfect opportunity.
I really liked this one. I love when you pick up a book and you can tell right away that you're going to enjoy it. When you see that it is almost 500 pages and glad it's going to last awhile. That's how I felt when I started reading this one. The writing was well done, I never felt bogged down by unnecessary details. Everything was told for a reason and helped move the story along. It also helps when you like the heroine, which I did. Cécile starts off as a normal farm girl, who had an amazing gift for singing. She has just turned seventeen is about to leave her country life to go live in the city with her mother. Her plans quickly chance when she is abducted and sold to trolls.

I enjoyed the world building here and the world of Trollus. It was easy to picture their kingdom and the trolls within. I like that Cécile had a strong spirit and never gives up. I liked her relationship with Tristan. I thought their bond was interesting and unique. I also liked how Cécile was able to see the good in those around her and make friends. At times I think she was a little naïve, but it was also nice that she is optimistic and genuinely wants to help. I didn't like Tristan at first, he just rubbed me the wrong way (and not because he was an evil troll) and I wasn't sure if I would like him. He does grow on me though and the more we get to know him the more I liked him. I will say, at times some of the language seemed too modern for the setting and would take me out of the story a bit. I actually would have liked more of Tristan's POV, we get a few here and there and I would have liked to see more.

Overall, a great start to a new series (a little bummed that I have to wait so long for the next book). If you enjoy high fantasy, kickbutt princesses and swoony princes then you need to pick this one up!

Content
Romance: Clean
Language: Mild
Violence: Mild

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!