Saturday, July 26, 2014

The Duke's Bride by Teresa McCarthy

The Duke's BrideThe Duke's Bride by Teresa McCarthy
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is one of my favorite Regency series, I love the Clearbrooks. It was fun seeing some of the past characters in this one, and fun to finally get the Duke and Jane’s story (which can stand on its own). I was excited when I found out they were getting their own book. I haven’t read too many regencies where the couple was already married and I was looking forward to this type of relationship dynamic.

The book starts with the Duke and Jane meeting for the first time (which happened in a previous book, but was a good reminder to me and fun to see from their perspective). I was glad we got to see how they met and a bit of their early courting. We then jump into the story about five years later and the happy couple are facing some serious issues.

Jane is a well developed character. Everyone underestimates her, including her husband. She really has to grow and learn how to stand up for herself, which she does splendidly. I really liked Jane and felt her pain. What a hard situation she was in and very frustrating. It’s true, a little level-headed communication would have gone a long way to solve everyone’s problems, but it’s always easy to say that when you’re on the outside looking in. There were times I wanted to step into the book and shake the Duke, but I could also see things from his perspective and could understand some of his reasoning. I loved that even though things were rough; they never stopped loving each other and were always loyal to one another.

I enjoyed reading this one, I had a hard time putting it down and there were even a few twists that I didn’t see coming. As hard it as it was to see these two make some poor choices, in the long run it probably made their relationship stronger. Sometimes we learn how much we care about someone by going through trials together.

Overall, an enjoyable read and a fun addition to the series. I hope Captain Argyle gets his own book, poor guy really needs his own happily ever after!

Content
Romance: Clean. Any marital intimacy fades to black/closed door.
Violence: Mild

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!