Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Into the Wild by Sarah Beth Durst

Genre: JV Fiction

Publication Date: June 2007

Author Website: www.sarahbethdurst.com

One Word Review: Amazing

First Line: “In the darkness, the heart of the fairy tale waited…”

Synopsis: “Twelve-year-old Julie has grown up hearing about the dangerous world of fairy tales, “The Wild,” from which her mother, Rapunzel, escaped. Now The Wild wants its characters back. Julie comes home from school to find her mother gone and a deep, dark forest swallowing her hometown. Julie must fight wicked witches, avoid glass slippers and fairy godmothers, fly griffins, and outwit ogres in order to rescue her mom and save her Massachusetts town from becoming a fairy-tale kingdom.” -GoodReads

Kathy’s Review: After reading this I’ll never look at fairy tales quite the same way. Durst creates a new world called “the wild” where our favorite characters are have to relive their stories over and over again. I don’t want to give away too much, but I’ll say that Repunzel has figured out a way to break free from the wild and live a “normal” life. Julie is our heroine in this tale, and it was fun seeing all the different stories come to life through her experiences. I think the book is probably meant for a younger audience, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit. I think I would have liked it more if Julie had been older and maybe had a romantic angle to the story, but it was still fun. If you like fairy tales then you will enjoy this book!

Wild Series:
Book One: Into the Wild
Book Two: Out of the Wild

4 comments:

  1. I had no idea about these books! I just finished Ice and I loved it, and for some reason thought it was Durst's debut novel. These sound lovely. (And Ice was fantastic by the way, if you haven't read it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really cute. I love fractured fairy tales. I'm going to add to the very top of my list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect a novel with an older heroine and a romance theme might have taken a different (perhaps more adult) turn. This story sounds well suited for younger teenagers and pre-teens (girls more so than boys, I suspect...), taking familiar childhood nostalgia and coupling it with an adventure story. Indeed, I suspect the word "cute" is an apt description.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, I appreciate hearing from you!